Saturday, January 22, 2011

Majority Rule

Just because there are more stupid people than smart people doesn't make the stupid people right. This is where majority rule becomes difficult for me. Not that I'm offering an alternative. Democracy so far beats out all other forms of government I've seen. I'm all for it. But, I think we did it better once upon a time.

For instance, I'm not the smartest person in the world. This might come as a surprise to most of you. Not the fact, so much as the fact that I know it and admit it. There it is. I know it. I'm up there. As smart goes, I'm above average. I also know how to think. I know principles of logic and reason. I have a lot of experience with what has and has not worked in my life.

We are at a place in space and time where there are people who do not know that they are not really smart. I'm not sure why this is so. It may have something to do with building self esteem in children by not allowing them to know and understand their own personal limitations. For example, George Bush never realized that being a C student disqualified him from being a really successful president of a free nation. Apparently, being a C student also prevents him from understanding that he wasn't a really successful president of a free nation. Pity that.

I wasn't an A student. I was a sometimes B, sometimes C and sometimes D student. I suppose it did average out to a C. So, I never tried to be the president of a free nation, or any other nation for that matter. I'm pretty committed to that. Others will be better at it that I will be. I accept that.

We are leading up to another election. This is a time in our lives and history that I really dislike. People get mean and idiots spout garbage out the whazoo. It makes my head spin and my ears hurt. The hard part is when really otherwise objectively smart people prey on the inadequacies of the really not so smart or ill informed people.

Then there's Newt Gingreach. By all accounts, Newt was better than a C student. As my elementary school English teacher used to say "Rules were made to be broken." As my law school professor used to say "This is the exception that proves the rule, a distinction without difference, that subjugates the inevitability of the unknown dispositive ubiquities." Which only goes to show, you can be a law school professor, or a history professor, and still be a fucking idiot.

Newt Gingrich is one such idiot. Here's my favorite Newt quote: "If combat means living in a ditch, females have biological problems staying in a ditch for thirty days because they
get infections and they don't have upper body strength. I mean, some do, but they're relatively rare. On the other hand, men are basically little piglets, you drop them in the ditch,
they roll around in it, doesn't matter, you know. These things are very real. On the other hand, if combat means being on an Aegis-class cruiser managing the computer controls for twelve
ships and their rockets, a female may be again dramatically better than a male who gets very, very frustrated sitting in a chair all the time because males are biologically driven to
go out and hunt giraffes." My second favorite New quote is about his first wife: "She isn't young enough or pretty enough to be the President's wife."

He pretends to be a nice guy, but would a nice guy have his not young enough, not pretty enough wife served with divorce papers (the first she ever heard about it) while she was being wheeled out of surgery from a mastectomy (for breast cancer) into the recovery room? No. That's not a nice guy. That's not even low life dirt bag neanderthal.

He's threatening to run for President. Remember this in the future if you, dear reader, is even remotely a chance you might for a guy name Newt - which means he's either named after a salamander or is someone who has been separated from his family jewels. Either way, he still stands for the abiding rule: Just because there are more stupid people than there are smart people, doesn't mean the the stupid people are right.

No comments:

Post a Comment